Jessica Day 4: SHOULDERS

Today was a pretty rough day. I've been averaging 6-7 hours of sleep a night all week and I'm pretty sure it's catching up to me because that is clearly NOT enough! When I finished work and it was time to go to the gym, I really didn't want to. I wanted to just go home and sleep, but I knew that wasn't an option. One thing you must know about me is that I am the world's best excuse maker. That is a large reason my previous stints with the gym never lasted long. When I hired my personal trainer I had someone else who was counting on me getting work done, so I didn't have a choice and it ended up being a habit. But I still have days where I just don't want to. I intentionally picked a gym on my way home from work so I couldn't not go. So I dragged my butt in there. 
I wasn't looking forward to doing my 30 minutes of a hill on the treadmill. I really don't enjoy walking uphill, but today was the last day for that (it's just for week 1), so I sucked it up and went. For some reason I wasn't feeling really well when I did that. I'm not sure why, but something just felt off. As soon as that was finished, I ran into the locker room for a mid-workout snack. And onto my shoulders workout! 

1. Free Motion Shoulder Press 




The only difference in form is that your back should not be on the backrest- you should be sitting at a 90 degree angle. Hold your hands there and lift one arm straight up at a time. 12 on each side (or 24 total). 


Do 3 sets.






Onto Rotation #1. I don't include that in a rotation because it's the only exercise done in this workout that is on a machine. The rest is mat work. 

1. Side Plank Pulse. 






Start in side plank with your hip on the ground, feet should be stacked. Rest on your elbow. Left your hip as high as you can go. Do this 15 times on each side  






2. Rainbow Plank



Start in plank like this picture. Basically you will make a rainbow with your body. First curve your body so your right hip touches the floor, then curve it so your left hip touches the floor (it doesn't actually have to touch the floor). 
 Do this one for 1 minute

I have a love hate relationship with this exercise. The first time I did it I HATED IT. You will grow to love it. Promise. :) 

Do 3 sets of those 2 exercises

Next Rotation!
1. Side Plank Punch
This one is fairly simple. Go into side plank and grab a handweight (5-10 pounds). Hold it near your armpit and punch it straight out in front of you 15 times. Do this on each side. 

2. Bosu Burpees
Start with the Bosu on the ground. You should be standing up. To start, I grab the Bosu, lift it above your head, then put it on the ground and jump your feet back. To make it more challenging, do a pushup. Then bring it back above your head to repeat the motion. Do this 15 times. 

Do 3 sets of the rotation. 

That's all! :)

Most exercises I was not a fan of at first but they have grown on me. Burpees are NOT one of those. I can think of very few things in life that are more horrible than burpees and the worst of them are Bosu Burpees. I HATE THEM! My entire workout I dreaded doing them and even procrastinated starting them. As I walked over to the equipment area, I prayed that all the bosu balls would be taken so I wouldn't be able to do it, but no such luck. Sometimes I really just need to suck things up and do them. No matter how much you really hate them. I seriously felt like I was being punished. I would pretty much rather do ANYTHING but burpees. Even stairs. Or sprints. We'll get to that later on in the month. :) But on the humorous side.... I found these tonight. :) 
The Shoulders workout is pretty short, though I was dragging today so it took me about 40 minutes. I think you could do it in 30 probably. 

FOOD
Breakfast: Shake.  294 Calories. On a side note, tonight I was online looking at more protein powder to buy since I'm almost out. Muscle Milk makes a cake batter flavor! :) 

Lunch: Almost exact same as yesterday. Ham and swiss sandwich (oh and I forgot to mention that the bread n butter pickles that I used are sugar free so they are calorie free! Hooray!), mandarin oranges, and a cinnamon applesauce. 383 Calories

Snack: Yoplait fat free Very Vanilla yogurt and banana. In this category I also put the protein bar that I ate mid-workout. Between those 3 things, it was 428 calories. (Higher than I would like)

Dinner: 1 Serving of Smothered Burritos. 254 Calories

Snack: I was still hungry after dinner, but only had about 300 calories left, so I had a snack bag of some bbq chips I had leftover from like a month ago (I've never been a really big chip eater). That was 220 calories. 

RESULTS
Calories Consumed: 1580 (Goal: 1600) Pretty close! 
Calories Burned: 2238 (Goal: 2350) so I didn't quite make it (112 away). 
Deficit: 428

While I didn't quite hit my goal for both calories burned and my deficit, I did still have a deficit so that's good. Plus the last couple days my deficit has been OVER my goal. I'm only slightly surprised that I didn't hit my goal today. I've been pretty tired. That means early to bed today, hopefully! :) I will start to post more recipes (even if I'm not eating that food on that day) because I love sharing healthy recipes. :) If you have any you would like to share you can leave that in the comments section. 

~Jessica~

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

September Foodie Pen Pals

May Foodie PenPals

March Foodie Pen-Pals