Jessica Day 2 - CHEST AND BACK

You would think after doing this for the last 2 years I would have learned my lesson. Unfortunately not. I'm actually going to intertwine the workout and food portions of the blog tonight. I think it will make more sense that way with how things went today.

I woke up and got ready for work and took my multivitamin and fat burner. For breakfast I made my shake. Here is what I have. I generally have these every morning during the week.
I know what you're thinking! I came across this one day when my gym was giving out free samples and I was skeptical but it's really good! It has a decent amount of protein in one serving and usually keeps me pretty full until lunch time. Right now I only have chocolate, but I've tried the strawberry as well and it's pretty good. I mix one scoop with 1.25 cups of skim milk and my breakfast has a total of 294 calories! Perfect.










Now, I had planned my menu very carefully and even spent a good chunk of my morning not only putting together my lunch but also calculating how many calories it would be. But then everything got thrown off. We  were taking the kids to Chuck-E-Cheese and I had really hoped I wouldn't be tempted to eat anything there. I figured I'd just eat when I got back to work. Well, we ended up being there much later than I had anticipated and I was STARVING, so I had a salad and one piece of cheese pizza. Now I guess I had it in my mind that the two of those were going to equal 1,000 calories. Originally I thought I'd eat my lunch (or at least part of it) upon my return to work but that didn't happen either. When I got home tonight I looked up the calorie content of my lunch. A whopping 273 calories- pizza and salad! Hmm.... Maybe I should have researched it before we went.

Work was so crazy when we got back that I didn't even have time to think about eating. It wasn't until I was on my way to run some errands before my Chiro appointment that I realized I was starving (this was about 3:00pm). I left all of my lunch in the fridge at work to have tomorrow, but I did have a banana in my backpack so I ate that pretty fast and ran an errand. Afterwards I realized I was still hungry, exhausted and still had an appointment and NEEDED to work out. So I ran to Starbucks to get a Refresher- those things are delicious and not very caloric. AND they have caffeine in them! win win. As I walked in I thought that I'd get a protein plate and that would help fuel my workout. Of course they didn't have any! The egg salad sandwich looked really good, though at this point I probably would have eaten anything. I found a goat cheese and garden veggies bistro box and got that with my refresher. It had a little thing of goat cheese, fresh veggies (bell peppers, cucumbers, carrots, green beans, and cherry tomatoes), tzatziki dip, and cranberry-apple crackers. It was delicious! I definitely recommend it! And the whole thing was only 220 calories! I went to my appointment and then made it to the gym.

I was feeling great when I got to the gym, and hopped on the treadmill to do my 30 minute hill. (Same as yesterday, but 10 minutes longer). I walked at 3.5 mph, 1.81 miles, heart rate was 106-161 and I burned 200 calories. Awesome. When I got off, I ran into the locker room to get something and for whatever reason was just POURING with sweat. And that's when I noticed I was kind of shaky. Luckily, I keep some protein bars in my gym bag at all times so I ate one pretty fast before I headed back out to do the strength portion of my workout. I am a sucker for anything that combines peanut butter and chocolate and these are pretty tasty!




Today's muscle group focus was Chest and Back.
For my first rotation I did...
1. Push Ups. 15 reps and we're not talking "girl push ups"
2. Lawn Mower. 15 with a 15 pound weight. Put the weight on the ground and form your legs in a lunge-esque position. If your right leg is forward, rest your right elbow on your right knee. Pick up the weight with your left hand and bring it up to your armpit, much like you are starting a lawn mower.
Repeat this sequence 3 times
Next rotation....
1. Plank up and down. I have a severe love hate relationship with this! Start in pushup position, and starting with your right hand, move from on your hands, to elbows. Do this 10 times. Then lead with your left hand and do that 10 times. That's 1 set. :) 
2. Plank Side to Side for 1 minute. Start in plank, then twist to side plank. I usually put my hand on my hip when I'm twisting. 




The only difference in what I do is that I start in full plank.









Do 3 sets!
After that I moved to the machines. At my gym, the machines I used are made by Hoist, but any machines will work. :)
1. Chest Press. Set on 50 pounds. 15 reps.
2. Mid-Row Set on 85 pounds. 15 reps.
3 sets.
I finally finished it up with plate swings. Get a 10 pound circle weight (the kinds that go on the bar when you bench press) Stand with feet hip width apart. Swing (in a controlled motion) plate between your legs and bring it up to to your shoulders in front of you.




It looks like this kettlebell exercise, but with a circle weight instead.







All done! Between that and the cardio, this workout took me about and hour and a half.

For dinner I had one serving of the smothered burritos I made last night.

I didn't hit my calorie goal yesterday and since I didn't consume very much this morning I think I learned my lesson. The funny thing is that yesterday I was lecturing a friend about not eating enough. Oops. So make sure you eat enough! And for future reference, one slice of cheese pizza from chuck e cheese only has 155 calories!

Before I sign off, I want to discuss what to do when you are sore. I say this because my legs are pretty sore from yesterday's workout and I imagine my chest and back will be sore tomorrow as well. Honestly, the thing that is going to help the most is to KEEP MOVING. They get stiff when you don't move. Sad, but true. So make sure you keep moving!

CALORIE RESULTS
Consumed: 1431 (Remember, goal is 1600 so I still came in a little bit under, but came closer than yesterday)
Burned: 2438 (Goal is 2350)
Deficit; 1007 (Goal 750)
Overall a pretty good day, despite not feeling great. On the plus side, my lunch is already at work and tomorrow will be better.

This is one of my favorite gymspiration quotes!







Feel free to leave questions or comments. Keep at it, no matter how hard it may seem. It's truly worth it!
~Jessica~

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

May Foodie PenPals

The word I hate the most

Your Input