People Of Faith Say Yes To Equal Rights For All

Okay, so I know technically this is a "health and fitness" blog but every once in a while, I will have something to say that has to do with neither of those. And since this is my blog... I get to. :)

In a lot of ways, when I entered the professional world I felt like it meant I needed to change everything. I seemed to see my friends less and less and even talk to them less as well. As the time passed, I got sad and missed "the good old days". Though we often try to plan get-togethers, more often than not it just doesn't work out due to our very busy lives. The last few weeks there have been a few situations that have caused me to pause, look back and remember the really good times.

I've been a huge supporter of the GLBT community for as long as I can remember. It was something I just always knew was very important to me. I just wanted to reach out to those people, show them love because that's how I was raised. I never understood the hatred that some people have for them- even at a young age. Being a person of faith, I definitely received ridicule for this and had many many many disagreements with other people in the faith community regarding that. But my beliefs never wavered. If anything, they got stronger with those conversations.

In college, when I was slightly lost and trying to found my niche, things just kind of worked out. I found myself living in a house with people who shared my beliefs and were involved and somehow that just kind of led to me becoming involved. And alas..... Super Ally was born.







It just so happened that this year I was going to be in town for Pride. This doesn't happen very often- usually it falls right in the middle of my trip, but luckily it worked out this year. Yay! I ended up getting downtown much earlier than needed and as I sat there waiting for people to start rolling in, I was flooded with memories from the past. I remembered being saddened when Referendum I didn't pass and then my amazing friends organized a rally at the Capitol which was absolutely amazing.

My dear friend Christina and me on the Capitol steps after the rally (Rall-eye?) . She inspires me more than she could know.
I remembered the last time I was able to go to Pride (2011) and running into my friend Stephen who screamed "OMG IT'S ASHLEIGH HUFF!" (another girl we went to college with- obviously not me). I often think back on that moment and just start laughing hysterically. I suppose it was one of those "you had to be there" moments.

I think back on all the parties. The activism. The dinners. The conversations. The retreat.  All of it. And I can't help but smile.

There were so many great times. We laughed together. We cried together. We partied together. As life would have it, things got tough and there was a bit of a parting of ways. And though my life took me in a bit of a different direction, my love for these people never disappeared. That seems to be true every time I run into any of these people. The hugs, the smiles, the laughter come right back. And as I was sitting in the park, it dawned on me.

  I am so lucky to know all these wonderful people. I am so honored to be able to call myself their ally. They have taught me so much about life and love throughout the years. 

The parade was a pretty monumental one. Military was in it. Churches were in it. It was the first parade since civil unions have been available for those in Colorado. It is so fantastic and I know it's only the beginning.

So this is my blog saying that I love all you crazy kids. And miss you. And every day I hope that we keep taking steps in the right direction.

<3 Jessica <3
"Super Ally"



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

May Foodie PenPals

September Foodie Pen Pals

Stuck and Apathetic